Thursday, September 24, 2009

Independent Woman

A friend of mine asked that I write a post on what being an independent woman meant to me. I though about just blabbing on and on about being strong and willful and a free thinker...u know, another diatribe, but I decided to rant in another way. Through song.

Here are a few songs that speak on being an independent woman and my personal opinion of them.

1. You Gotta Be by Des'ree



Ok, ok this may not be solely for women, but this song always makes me feel empowered. It's important for women to encourage themselves and demand better from and for themselves. I think that is so important because a lot of times, females allow people or things into their lives that they know are wrong for them. People that will only bring them down or try to take chip away at their free thinking.
For me, the song says: You gotta be bold enough to stand on your own. You gotta be wiser than you used to be; learn from your mistakes. You gotta be hard enough to take a chance. You gotta be tough enough to stand up for yourself. You gotta be stronger than you think you can be.

2. She Got Her Own by Ne-Yo


She Got Her Own Video
I mean, I guess this song is here just to illustrate the sexiness that is being independent. However, it is necessary to realize that being strong on your own should be natural not faked. "There ain't nothin' that's more sexy,Than a girl that want, but don't need me" When you're good with who you are, you won't feel desperate to validate yourself with someone else, and that's sexy.

3. Independent Woman by Destiny's Child



Sidenote: I miss Kelly with the long hair. I knew when she went weave, any chance of her distinguishing herself as superstar outside of DC was slim to none.

Anyways, the lyrics of this song mostly focus on economic independence, which is integral to feeling stable nut mental independence is just as important. "I worked hard and sacrificed to get what I get. Ladies, it ain't easy bein' independent". Independence is hard! lol That's why so many people avoid it.

4. Independent by Webbie Ft. Lil Boosie


So I'm def thinking this song is more of a degradation to women that a praise of them. "A Independent Chick Do U Kno' Wat That Mean? She Cook She Clean Never Smell Like Onion Rings" Really though? Too many women were jamming to this song like it was something to be proud of. I won't lie, I was one of them. But once I actually listened to the words, I couldn't jam to it in the same way. Personally, I think Webbie just made the song to show he could spell the word INDEPENDENT.

So I don't really know what it means to be an independent woman. I think it's something you just work towards and keep in mind as you interact with different forces in your life. What do you think are the defining characteristics of an independent woman?

UPDATE:
Happy Being Me by Angie Stone




What I would consider a true song of independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment